Friday 10 October 2014

Flames 5 - Oilers 2. History Repeating...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzLT6_TQmq8

I love this song. Shirley Bassey's lush, rich tones over a deep base line and jazzy drum beat, a perfect blend of 1960's British kitsch and 90's break-beat - it takes me to me happy place. A place I needed to go to, during and after last nights game, it's chorus repeating in my head while watched...

Yes, Ladies and Gentlemen, game one is in the books of this new revamped team. Different than that of 2013/2014, apparently built to succeed in the areas where it last failed, it still needs some time to shake the demons of it's past. I'm not going to waste this time and space re-hashing the details of last nights match-up between the Oilers and Flames (I assume if you're reading an Oilers blog you either watched it yourself or at the very least are aware of the result) but would like to offer my thoughts on a few salient points of what transpired.


FLAMES 5 - OILERS 2


Charlie Brown: "The Oilers lost?"
Lucy: "You were expecting a different result?"

Ok, it's only game one. No need to panic, many teams lose their season opener and go on to have successful seasons. The Oilers are not the same team as 2013. They have no less than seven new players this year, some of them high profile free-agent additions. They're still working out the kinks and rust. The make-up is different - they're deeper on the wings, they're more experienced on defense, the high draft picks have another year under their belt, TWO new goalies to shoulder the load etc... 

Hhmmm...Here's what I saw last night:
  1. The Oilers needed to overcome a poor start in order to get themselves back into the game.
  2. Despite long stretches of good play, team defence broke down to give up grade-A chances against.
  3. Poor goaltending cost them at key moments in the game.
  4. Despite getting themselves even after a poor start, they were unable to finish off an opponent in the third period, collapsing completely instead.
Sure SOUNDS like last years team, and all this against the Clagary Flames! A team projected to finish last in the conference, who played the night before, playing in OUR rink...

AAAAAAUUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!! I feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick Lucy's football.

Now that I've gotten that out of my system, let's talk about the performances of the different areas of the team, good and bad...

DEFENCE:  Brad Hunt was sure fun to watch on the power play. I really enjoyed his shoot first mentality. I just worry about his foot speed while defending in his own zone...Justin Schultz played pretty well, but that 4th Flame goal was a direct result of him playing too soft on Mason Raymond, allowing him to go to the net unimpeded...Nikitn and Fayne, our two new Steady Eddies, were less than so at times and made s few questionable decisions with the puck, especially behind the net that resulted in the first goal. It looks like they need some time to get to know each others tendencies. Go out to a quiet lounge and get s%#t-faced together, fellas...Jeff Petry had really elite NHL speed and NHL awareness last night and created a number of scoring opportunities for himself off the rush. Trouble is he's got an AHL shot...I didn't notice Andrew Ference last night, which in my opinion, means he didn't do anything wrong...

FORWARDS:  One area I thoroughly enjoyed last night. Nuge, Hall and Eberle were buzzing on almost every shift between the 5 minute mark of the first and the 15 minute mark of the third. That being said, however, Eberle looks like he's a half step behind the other two. It's like watching synchronized swimmers - it's amazing what any of them can do individually, but if one is out of sync, you notice it right away...unlike other games last year, after the first line trio left the ice, you weren't left waiting for two minutes game time for them to come back to make something happen again. There were actually three more lines who were all creating and spending good amounts of time in the offensive zone. Hallelujah!...Yakupov looked good. Really good. He was flying around the rink, involved, finding team mates and NOT ONCE did I see him make an error that lead to a goal or scoring opprtunity. Now THAT'S some change I can believe in...his linemates were pretty good too. Especially Draisaitl, who didn't seem out of place at all...Arcobello may do just fine as the third line C. He was 80% for in face-offs last night...Joensuu had himself a good outing,  playing a big man's game with Gordon and Hendricks. Maybe his play is finally going to carry over from pre-season. 1 game down, 81 more to go...


Dubey? Is that you?


GOALTENDING: I don't know how to spell that sound you make when you stick your tongue between your lips and blow as hard as you can, sending a million bits of spittle hurtling through the air...I'm sorry folks, but I'm just not sold on Ben Scrivens. I don't understand how this guy got people to believe he's the answer in net. Was it the 59 save performance against San Jose? Really?? If one exceptional game was all it took to be a star, then Sam Gagner would be as good a center as Wayne Gretzky...seriously, Scrivens is Dubnyk 2.0. I remember watching him in Toronto. He'd have the occasional good game followed by a good shellacking or two. I don't know what's changed. He is as scrambled and unsettled now as he was then...I guess that kind of play is what coach Eakins describes as "battling"...if Scrivens is going to be a starting goalie in the NHL, that third Clagary goal by Raymond HAS  to be stopped. Everytime. Come out, challenge and MAKE THE SAVE. End story. The wheels fell off the team after that goal. It deflated them and it cost them the game. Plain and simple.

Last nights game wasn't all doom and gloom. Unlike games past, the Oilers carried the play for most of the game. They OUTSHOT their opponent 40 - 26 and more importantly, they won the posession battle with a team Corsi of 66%. Amazing for a team that struggled to get over 45% for most of last year. If this team can figure out its team defense and let Viktor Fasth play the lions share of games in the net, this team could be alright. It is only one game. But they better figure it out soon because it's going to be awful tough to watch this teams past repeat...


P.S.  Tomorrow I am heading to the Haiti of hockey, the Raccoon city of rinks, the Mordor of the NHL - Rogers Arena in Vancouver to watch the Oilers and Canucks. Despite the harsh confines, I'll be wearing my Oilers colors and cheering with everything I've got! I may not make it back alive, but if I do, I'll post a full report on Sunday night.


Hockey hair, an inverted garbage can helmet, a name that defied vowels. What wasn't there to love about Petr Klima?

I'm incredibly excited! It's been so long since I've seen the Oilers live. In fact, the last time I witnessed the Edmonton Oilers live was in the 1991-92 season at the old Winnipeg Jets arena where they tied 4-4 on a Petr Klima goal. God, I'm old...
































No comments:

Post a Comment